The
Background and History of Story Telling
Storytelling
is an art that has been around for a very long time. Storytellers would tell
stories that had a purpose… to teach lessons, pass along history, and to
entertain. The book, Story Telling: Art and Technique, explains that
story telling could be considered as the oldest and the newest of the arts (Green
& Negro, 2010, p.3). Story telling originated in tribal regions, with
chanting, rhythms, and dancing. They would be improvised and usually celebrated
bravery. As time moved on, stories developed and progressed, making
storytellers important keepers of history, culture, and entertainment. Storytelling
played an important role in many societies including the Native Americans and
the Roman Empire. Thanks to storytellers, stories spread throughout the world! (Green
& Negro, 2010, p.3-4).
| https://www.alison-morton.com/2017/01/06/telling-roman-stories-the-audio-of-its-day/ |
| https://jsydsjourney.wordpress.com/2015/06/27/storytelling/ |
Just when storytelling seemed to be at an all time high, things started to change. An invention called the printing press was developed. This meant that stories were being printed instead of told. The art of using storytelling to pass along history died down. Stories were now told more to amuse and entertain. However, in 1812 and 1815, two men by the name of Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm sparked a revival in storytelling. They collected a selection of oral stories and tales. This encouraged many in the storytelling community and had a great effect on children. Their work helped parents of children to understand the importance of telling stories. This later affected how children were taught in school, with storytelling being a main component of their education. This set the foundation for many leagues, organizations, and associations that still agree that storytelling is extremely important to children's development. (Green & Negro, 2010, p.4-5)
Librarians are appointed with the role of storytelling. As a storyteller, the importance of bringing children and books together is significant. There is a great connection between reading and storytelling. Library hours provided oral literature which challenged children to use their imagination. The story hour was used to help children spark an interest in reading and books, and to help them learn to read. Librarians knew the importance of these interactions with students. This ideal has grown with time and is still instilled in librarians and educators today (Green & Negro, 2010, p.23-24). Storytelling is a shared experience that established a since of community. Listeners receive the gift to use their imaginations and immerse themselves in the story being told. Librarians have the amazing opportunity to tell stories and share the magic they can bring with young learners. The right story can lead to choosing the right kind of book, which can lead to helping a child develop a life-long love for reading.
Picture
Books and Fables
Reading
picture books can warm a person’s heart, no matter their age. They can provide
a magical escape for the reader or listener to be transported to. I have always
loved reading picture books. Early in life, I was always drawn to their colorful
illustrations and predictable dialogue. As a kid, listening to a grown-up read a
children’s book would be such an exciting experience. Picture books have the
power to completely immerse a reader or listener into a story. There are such a
variety of different picture books that everyone can find one they would be
interested in. Picture books not only can meet the varied interests of readers,
but also their reading levels. This ensures that everyone has the opportunity to
become a reader and storyteller.
I would definitely use
this genre as a form of storytelling. As a teacher, I have been able to see the
benefits of reading picture books to my students. The article, Best
Practices in School Libraries, describes the 4 Cs: critical thinking, communication,
collaboration, and creativity. These 4 Cs are supported by telling stories to
young learners. It explains that no matter the focus of the book, teachers and
students can use the 4 Cs as the story is told (Cherry, Jr., 2017, p.52). Using
picture books as a form of storytelling is a way to have deeper conversations
and teach students skills they will use throughout their lives.
Fables have been around for a long time. As I was researching and reading fables this week, I found that I recognized some of the stories, but never realized they were considered to be fables. While reading the fables, the storyteller whose name comes up the most is Aesop. He can be credited with writing a large variety of fables that have surpassed many generations that have been used to teach lessons to many people. Fables are written in a simple manner; however, they can be used as an incredible tool for storytellers. Because of their simplicity, the fable can be told in a variety of ways, best fitting the needs of the storyteller and audience. Fables are a great match for oral storytelling, where the reader must memorize enough of the story to maintain eye contact with the audience (Venkat, 2020, p.55). The shortness of the fable may allow the storyteller to learn the story better, giving room for more artistic liberties as the story is told. Fables are certainly a genre worth using for storytelling. Because of their simplistic focus on morals and life lessons, listeners can make connections to their own lives and be deeply impacted.
https://www.greekmyths-greekmythology.com/aesop-greek-aesops-fables/
Link to The Library of Congress' Collection of Aesop's Fables: (the illustrations move and are animated which are great in engaging young students!) https://read.gov/aesop/001.html
References
Cherry Jr., W. R. (2017, November/December). Our place
in the universe, the
importance of story and
storytelling in the classroom. Knowledge Quest,
46(2),
pp. 50-55.
Greene, E., & Negro, J. D. (2010). Storytelling: Art and technique. Libraries Unlimited.
Venkat, S. (2020, May/June). Using oral
storytelling techniques in reading
sessions. Knowledge
Quest, 48(5), pp. 54-56.
Current Reads
Picture Books:
Fables:
Truman The Hare and The Tortoise
The Pigeon Has To Go To School The Lion and The Mouse
Rulers of the Playground The Fox and The Crow
Do Unto Otters The Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing
Who You Were Made To Be The Two Goats
The Day The Crayons Quit The Plane Tree
The Magical Yet The Gnat and The Bull
Kristin Wood
ReplyDeleteHey Michaela, I love the picture book The Day the Crayons Quit. I feel like that is the perfect elementary book.
It's crazy to think that the art of storytelling goes back to tribal times where chanting and dancing was there way of communication. It's crazy to think that storytelling is so important. As a teacher, trying to get my students interested in reading, I have two books I always read to my students. I have about 2 to 3 students in each class asking to go to the library to check the book out. When I see that happen I am always encouraged and realize the importance of reading. The 4 Cs are important for students to grow.
I enjoyed your blog!
Kristin Wood
I have a lot in common with you and your love for children's literature. I am a second grade teacher and one of my favorite things to do in my classroom is to read aloud to my students. If we have an extra 10 minutes in our day or I notice that they just need a break from learning, I pull out some of my favorite read alouds. I love bringing stories to life using some of the storytelling techniques such as gestures and character voices. My students are always so responsive while reading which tells me they are engaged without realizing it! My love for reading is instilled in my students because I show a genuine love for reading aloud. That is why I was so excited to take this course. I think it's only going to help me become a better storyteller so I can show that same passion to my students!
ReplyDeleteHi Michaela,
ReplyDeleteI am most impressed about the origins of storytelling as this art form began during times times and incorporated a great deal of music, chants, and dancing. It is awesome that during these times, stories were simply passed down from person to person before print was invented. In my blog, I likened this type of storytelling to members of the Lowcountry's Gullah community as they, often incorporate music, chant, and dancing into their stories today. I look forward to completing this class and learning techniques to improve my storytelling practices. I also read in one of our articles of the importance of maintaining great eye contact as a way to engage the audience. Picture books serve a great purpose for people of all ages because I feel that they usually serve a humorous or educational purpose.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteMichaela,
ReplyDeleteLike you, I am also still awed by picture books and the beautiful stories they tell. As a child, I loved the illustrations and comparing them to how I envisioned the story and its characters in my head. Were the author/illustrator and I on the same page or did we have different interpretations? I always found it fascinating to see how others viewed the same stories and engaging with different perspectives. The thing that most excites me about picture books as an adult is the diversity that is, albeit slowly, being embraced. As a future youth services librarian, I am always in search of children's books that showcase the diversity and beauty we all share with the world. I want the children I work with to embrace others' differences and learn about each other. Picture books are certainly a great place to start with this mission.