Digital Storytelling

This week, we read and studied digital storytelling. Stories can be told in many ways, and with the movement of time, digital storytelling is very relevant. As a teacher, I am always looking for ways to further engage students and make learning relatable for them. I could not wait to learn about digital storytelling and how I could use it as a tool in the classroom. There are so many resources out there for digital storytelling, and this post has the intention of focusing on what it is, why it is important, and how it can be a tool for educators.

First, what is digital storytelling?

Digital Storytelling is to tell stories with the use of computer-based tools/multimedia, such as graphics, audio, visual, and web publishing. It is very similar to traditional storytelling as it has a specific focus. This focus can be any topic! Digital tools can be used to tell all types of stories. Although you may think that digital storytelling is a new technique to keep up with the times, it actually has been around since 1990. The common goal between early pioneers of the field was to build connections between people and stories in a new way. This inspired the field to continue to grow into what it is today! (University of Houston, 2023)

                            This video gives a great rundown of digital storytelling!

So, why is digital storytelling important?

              Digital storytelling is important to implement into instruction. It makes an engaging learning environment rich with creativity. Digital storytelling is also easily aligned with standards. Digital storytelling projects can help students grow towards mastery in these ALL subjects. Students are also able to learn how to access information by using digital storytelling. Digital literacy skills can be built upon with the use of digital storytelling projects. One cool fact is that interactions with digital storytelling can inspire young students to begin any story! It supports awareness of others and self. It is a creative activity, and students can learn about their audience, purpose, and form, while also learning about who they are as a storyteller. (Rebmann, 2012). 

            A study focused on the interaction between two first graders who were completing a retelling of the story, Goldilocks and the Three Bears, using a Smartboard app. The study recalled the conversation the two students had while trying to use the system to retell the story. They were met with questions and moments when they did not know what to do. However, this provided moments for them to collaborate, and problem solve! They also earned skills such as turn-taking, showing pride, and enjoyment. (Ford & Lisenbee, 2017). Growing these skills at a young age is extremely important in helping students to be prepared for their future. 

How can digital storytelling be a tool for educators?

              Digital storytelling is a tool that educators can use to help students grow in so many different areas. In order to guide students through this digital experience, educators must be able to have tools and resources readily available. Here are some helpful resources that can be used to create digital storytelling projects with students: https://www.educatorstechnology.com/2023/05/some-of-the-best-free-digital-storytelling-tools-for-teachers.html

              Of all the digital storytelling resources I visited, the most prominent would be Canva! I currently use this program with my students, and they love it! There are many templates students can use as an outline for their stories. They can also use all of the extra features on Canva to make their story engaging. I think it is definitely a resource worth checking out… also it is free for educators! Click here to view Canva: https://www.canva.com/



              Technology can be scary for many people; however it is so important that students are exposed to digital tools. Telling digitized stories can help students to grow and develop many skills and be prepared for the future. It is our job, as information providers, to teach them how to access and use these tools!


 

References

Ford, C. & Lisenbee, P. (2017). Engaging students in traditional and digital storytelling to make     

connections between pedagogy and children’s experiences. Early Childhood Education Journal,

46(1), 129–139. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10643-017-0846-x

Rebmann, K. (2012). Theory, practice, tools: Catching up with digital storytelling. Teacher Librarian,

            39(3), 30-34.

What is digital storytelling?. Educational Uses of Digital Storytelling. (n.d.).

https://digitalstorytelling.coe.uh.edu/page.cfm?id=27&cid=27



Comments

  1. Michaela,

    I love how you laid out your blog this week and explained what digital storytelling is, why it's important and how to use it in the classroom. Immediately I thought how this would be a good post to share with classroom teachers when getting them on board with giving digital storytelling a chance. I also appreciate that you included additional resources to get started with digital storytelling. It's also easier to sell this to teachers when you can incorporate their standards alongside our standards as school librarians so they can see that it's still content based and students are gearing up to be 21st century learners. Thanks so much for sharing!

    Megan LaSane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for defining what digital storytelling is in your blog before you began talking about it. This helps me as a reader understand what you mean when you refer to the word digital storytelling throughout your post. I have been trying to find the right tool to use to produce my digital storytelling project. I never thought of Canva as an option for this. I plan on checking it out since I have used it in the past and it is easy to navigate. I also agree with you that technology can be overwhelming for some students at first. It is important that we prepare them with the latest technology tools in digital storytelling. The video you posted on digital storytelling would be great for me to share with my students when we do our digital storytelling project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michaela,

    I really enjoyed reading your blog this week and appreciated that you took the time to define digital storytelling. You also did a great job to incorporate how digital storytelling can be used in a classroom setting and how to get started with creating these! I started using Canva a couple of years ago to create flyers for the library and eventually started playing around with other options that would work for digital storytelling. It's been a fun learning process! Many school and academic librarians work alongside the teachers and professors at their schools so it's helpful for librarians to have these skills and understand how to incorporate these ideas into a learning model. The fact that allowing students to create their own digital stories also has added benefits such as learning to problem solve is a great selling point. I'm also glad you shared your reading selections for the week as some of them look really fun! I have mostly nephews so I was immediately drawn to "Ode to a Commode" and will definitely be checking that one out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment