For this blog post, I wanted to jump back to a module from earlier in the semester. In week eight, we focused on the audience as the storyteller. This topic caught my attention, immediately! As a second-grade teacher, teaching students how to tell stories is a part of what I do. I teach them to write, communicate, and listen every day. Unfortunately, it seems as if many children struggle with these skills, along with many literacy skills. I was very interested in this topic because I wanted to learn insight on how I can help my students build on these skills through storytelling.



In 1996, Susan Danoff had the goal for “…storytelling to teach literacy skills and motivate students who were not being served by more conventional teaching methods” (Greene & Negro, p.198). After reading more about Danoff, and her pursuits, it is clear that she has had a heavy influence on the ways storytelling can affect children. Through her work, it was determined that interactive techniques, such as chanting, singing, moving, and dramatization could teach literacy skills. These skills include comprehension, story structure, prediction, visualization, vocabulary, listening, retelling, and improvisation. It was recorded that the use of storytelling caused dramatic improvement in students writing pieces! (Negro, pp.199-200). All these skills are essential when children are learning to read and write in elementary school and throughout the rest of their lives. Storytelling is an important tool that should be used to engage students and help them grow in literacy and life skills.



Something else that I found interesting from this module was the social-emotional support storytelling can provide for children. For students with behavioral disorders, storytellers chose to tell stories that aligned to their lives. It gave them a chance to feel seen and give a different perspective on the situation at hand. The chapter also discussed how storytelling could affect students’ self-confidence, self-esteem, and self-expression… all important skills in adulthood. (Negro, p.199). Storytelling is so powerful, and it is wonderful that it can have this effect on children.

Fluency is one skill, however, that many of my students struggle with the most. One way I found that fluency could be supported through storytelling is through having a Readers Theatre in the classroom. Campbell & Hlusek (2015) state, “speaking fluency and reading fluency become natural partners when students are involved in learning to tell a story to an audience”. Reading about how storytelling projects such as a Readers Theatre can help students with fluency is fascinating. This project led to independent conversations about content, improved comprehension, and improved oral and reading fluency.  This is something I want to include in my classroom!


The final part of this module that stood out to me is that children need to be supported by storytelling, not only at school, but at home. Early literacy development can be supported during story times, but it also must be emphasized that the caregiver’s role in their child’s literacy development is extremely important (Albright, Delecki, & Hinkle, p. 16). I can see in my own students that there is a lack of parental involvement for numerous reasons. No matter the reason, children must be supported at home and school to develop the literacy skills they need. There is a direct connection between what instruction is happening at home and school, and with implementation of best practices, students will be able to grow.

Here is a link to a video full of storytelling activities to do with children!


I want to use all this information to help support my own students, and future students, literacy skill development. I plan to use different strategies such as the Readers Theatre and other storytelling projects to work on these skills. I also want to make sure I am communicating best practices with caregivers so that students are getting supportive instruction in all their environments. As a future librarian, I know these skills are extremely important to teach students early on. Using these strategies can have a powerful difference on so many children’s relationships with literacy!

 



References

Albright, M., Delecki, K., & Hinkle, S. (2009). The evolution of early literacy: A history of best

practices in storytimes. Children and Libraries, 7(1), 13-18.

Campbell, T. & Hlusek, M. (2015). Storytelling for fluency and flair: A performance-based

approach. The Reading Teacher, 69(2), 157–161.

Greene, E., & Negro, J. D. (2010). Storytelling: Art and technique. Libraries Unlimited.

 

Comments

  1. I agree, reading begins in the homes of our students. Unfortunately, where I teach, it is evident that reading is not prioritized. It may be because my student's lack the finances to own books in the home, it could be that parent's aren't able to read themselves, or perhaps there is just a disinterest in reading. Whatever the reason, my students are very behind in reading. To close this gap, I try to give my students books before Christmas break as my gift to them. Parents, friends, and family members donate money for me to buy students a copy of The Polar Express, and my students are able to go home with that book. I hope that they take them home and read it with their family members and maybe that can spark a love for reading. I also agree with you, that the audience is most important when storytelling. It is so easy for us to plan stories that we love and feel confident telling, but we have to keep our listeners at the forefront of our planning. I enjoyed reading your blog. Great job!

    -Kay Brooke Davis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michaela,
    I’m glad that you went back to week eight’s topic about the storytelling audience. This is my second year with having my own classroom, and I have tucked away so many nuggets of things that I either have already started using or have great plans for in the near future, especially from this course. Reading stories aloud is one of my very favorite things to do, so I want to be the best at it. This course has helped me with so many things like volume and pace of my voice depending on the mood or feel of the story part. Just like you take things from our weekly topics and use them in your classroom.
    One summer, I worked at my school district’s reading camp. My job was to push into each classroom and work on reading fluency skills with readers theater. I was very intentional with choosing plays that had props to add extra excitement with the kiddos. We worked on the same play all week long and did a mini performance for another group. The kids loved it and they were practicing their fluency skills without even knowing it. At the end of the camp, one group was chosen to perform a play for their parents and the rest of the kids in the camp. The kids did an amazing job and loved showcasing their skills to everyone.
    For your readers' theater, your class could perform for another 2nd-grade class or a younger grade as a confidence booster for everyone. You could be picky about what story you choose so that it may also promote science, social studies, or even social and emotional learning standards. By bringing any story to life with props or action, the kids have a better understanding of what the story is all about. Good luck with trying readers' theater in your classroom.
    Kelly Justice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michaela,

    I enjoyed your blog post and your link to the video. I am going to follow The Colorful Apple now, as she had some fantastic suggestions.I especially liked the spin a story as I could see 4th and 5th grade students doing this in the 40 minutes class time I have them in. I may even create a Christmas themed spinner and have them create stories. This would be really cool if they could then read these stories to younger grades. Just a thought.

    I have also done a readers theatre type project with my 2nd and 3rd graders. We looked at Mo Willems Elephant and Piggie books and then in groups wrote their own story, made paper puppets, and acted out the story for the class. The students had such a great time and it is something that I will repeat each year now my students. There were such a variety of creative stories and working in groups meant that students could shine in the areas they were most comfortable.

    Christine Donaldson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reader's Theater has always been in the back of my mind as an engaging way to promote literacy skills in the classroom but in my 12 years of teaching, I haven't tried it. It's true though, this is a great way for students to work on fluency, mood, craft, and inferencing while performing a story. It's an even more effective tool when you can find a Reader's Theater that is interesting to them. I wonder what kind of tips are given to those students who are shy in front of others. What can we do to support their courage? When I was looking around on the Reader's Theater website, I saw a great idea to use the Reader's Theater concept to act out math word problem. What a neat idea! Maybe this Christmas season I will find a Reader's Theater (or something similar) for students to practice and perform. I have a lot of theatrical students who would enjoy the spotlight!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment